Monday, July 23, 2007

Insignificant catalysts for significant catharses


At last, I managed to climb over the so-called writers' block (have I started to exaggerate my ability to write some decent English sentences?). Never mind. Let's just get to the real story.

I've been away from home for nearly a month now. I am with my sister and her family for a short break (don't ask me from what!). I have loads of time on my hands with nothing to do except play with my two year old nephew and catch up on family gossip with my sister and brother-in-law(BIL). However, this rather new experience of being quite far away from home and in a country where I don't have a license to drive (therefore can't venture out much)and a weather that doesn't leave much to desire, there is nothing much to do except think more. And thinking I am! And all the thinking is leading to lot of confessions to my own self.

I have realized that I never gave much credit to simple things in life and how they can play a role in shaping my mind. I guess all this quiet time is opening my eyes. Ever since I've come here, lots of events like bonding with my nephew, arguing about life with my BIL and watching my sister unassumingly lead a life of relative clarity and peace, have helped me see my life from a different perspective. I have started to understand the significance of what it means to see someone else's viewpoint.

Simple daily events, movies which I used to label as just 'time-pass', suddenly seem to be teaching me life lessons. Like this simple love story I watched today a while ago. Contrary to my usual self which would have rated the movie critically, I used the theme to understand my relationships and what I have been doing wrong. It even triggered me to open up and confess my feelings for some important people in my life.

These daily events are starting to help me clear my hypocritical ideas about life and are making me understand that I am after all human and an imperfect one at that. I am starting to understand that I have to fulfill all the other needs as outlined by Abraham Maslow in his famous theory, before I fulfill my self-actualization need. After all, all things in life follow a step-by-step pattern, isn't it?

Picture courtesy: www.croatia-beauty.com/.../-Clearing-sky.html

1 comment:

Betty Ernst said...

I have accidently read your blog and it left me pretty amased. Namely, I am the oldest of three children, living on my own, have a family of my own and a sister for who I wanted to experinece what you have. She is 6 years younger than me and I feel she needs to get a bit of such understanding that you are writting about.. ah.. well.. maby it will happen, maby I'm wrong, but you touched me!