Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Sagalakala Vallavan – Master of all Arts!!!


Hey everyone!!!! It’s been such a long time since I posted on my blog. It feels good to be back. Feels like a big achievement that after months of bad luck with my comp and lot of other personal lows, I’ve finally managed to sit down today to write something.

And guess what (or rather whom) I have been itching to write about??!! About this great actor and human being named ‘Kamal Hassan’! Whew!!!! Now that is so different from what I always write about. Or actually is it? You decide after you have read the post.

Before I start saying what I want to, let me introduce this guy for the benefit of those who have no clue of the Tamil movie stars (now that is a subtle way of saying my blog is read by people all over the world;)). Kamal Hassan is one of the greatest movie stars of this era. I am sure everyone would agree to that though many may not want to accept it publicly. He has acted in countless number of movies since his childhood days. He has won many accolades for his performances. He is 54 years old and is still re-inventing himself with every movie.

Now for the real story.

I have always been a fan of Kamal Hassan since my childhood. And when I say I am fan, I don’t mean to say I watch every movie of his or that I am there for the first show of his every movie. I am actually not even one of those fans who will swear that each and every performance of his and every movie of his is mind blowing. But what I do say is that this is one man who has made the profession of acting and the movie industry highly respectable in my eyes.

The whole idea of writing about how I feel about this human being occurred to me after I watched his recent movie ‘Vettaiyadu Vilaiyadu’. I am sure all Tamil movie goers would have watched the film by now. And I am also pretty much sure that everyone would agree that the movie was really well made and that Kamal has once again proved that he is a cut above the rest! I for one was so enthralled by the movie and by Kamal’s performance that I was raving about the movie(which included Kamal’s looks as well;)) for more than a week. I must also mention here that the director of the movie Gautham Menon moved up a few notches in my ‘favourites’ list. It was a mind-blowing movie, though many (especially men) did think that it was very disturbing as it dealt with the story of a serial rapist and murderer. However, I would say that the movie was made to be disturbing as it left some serious thoughts in the viewers’ heads long after the movie was over.

So, like I said earlier, after I watched this movie I spoke so much about it to my friends and everyone that after each conversation I started thinking a little about this person. I thought about how this man has dedicated his life to the art of acting. Many of his movies totally shock us as to what lengths he goes to in each of his movies to look the part he is playing. His movies also clearly show us that this is one man who has done his homework to almost become the character he is playing. In each of his movies there is something new. Sometimes it is the make-up, sometimes it is his singing ability that comes to the fore, sometimes it all the new technical stuff he has introduced in film making; the list is endless. Another important point that many people fail to recognize in his movies is the subtle messages each of his movies carries. Of course, in all the movies the hero plays the good guy fighting for a cause and the cause is pretty much clearly outlined in the first few scenes of the movie. However, in all of Kamal’s movies (especially the ones that he has acted in the last decade or so) have real important messages laced into the story, but it is not blaring enough for the masses to understand. Now, that is why Kamal does not command a fan following like Rajinikanth (the superstar of Tamil filmdom)! Coming back to the point about messages, let me mention a few. Remember this movie ‘Peiyar Sollum Pillai’ - the message there was about abolishing casteism. ‘Kurudhipunal’ was about the life ( the real emotions and tribulations) of commandos. ‘Mahanadhi’ was a very disturbing movie about the life of children who lose their parents, but one of the messages I liked in the movie was in a song which teaches the children about how not to fear devils and demons and how they are all just a myth. ‘Anbe Sivam’, my all time favorite movie (I personally think it is one of the best movies ever made) is about ‘Love’. It so subtly highlights the message that ‘Love is God’. I think it is a movie that every human being who really wants to live a meaningful life should watch and probably save a copy for posterity. Another recent one ‘Virumaandi’ was about the death sentence. I could just go on and on. But this not all that I want to talk about.

The most important thing that I wanted to talk about in this post is about how Kamal Hassan is an inspiration to people who want to make a difference in this world. Think about this. We all look up to extraordinary professionals such as Scientists, Doctors, Lawyers, Entrepreneurs, IT professionals, etc. and talk about how we want to be like them. But hardly does any parent show the example of an actor to his/her child to make them understand what it takes to be a successful and extraordinary human being. Including me, I think all of us just look at movies as entertainment and movie stars as glamorous people who do a job they are paid for. But think again. Think again about this guy named Kamal. He was a school drop out and became an actor to fulfill his father’s dream. But he chose to make a difference through the medium that God had offered to him. He dedicated his life to this art of acting. Though a school drop-out he is well read and highly knowledgeable and speaks impeccable English and Tamil. He is a great dancer, a great orator and someone who walks his talk. And hey, I almost forgot this one! He is amazingly good looking, even at the age of 54 (I am so fascinated with his looks that I was telling Ganesh that I wouldn’t mind marrying him at the age of 54, if I get a chance!!). The next one is a little dicey but I have to say it. I am sure many of YOU, don’t like the way he leads his personal life (frankly, who are we to comment on his personal life?), but think again. However flamboyantly you would say he lives his life, he has been very honest and forthright. Now that calls for some real appreciation given that none of us on the face of this earth is perfect and that many of us don’t have the guts to own up to our mistakes. Now tell me, what more does one need to make Kamal his/her idol and look up to this man to live one’s life more successfully and meaningfully?

I could go on and on about this guy. But it is time to stop as I guess I have exceeded all acceptable limits of a blog post!! So I will just conclude by saying, “Kamal Hassan for me is a person who has pushed the limit for something he believes in - the medium of cinema to share his knowledge and his experiences. And I sure would be proud to introduce him to the next generation as one of the greatest men to walk this earth!” I am sure I have stretched all your reading limits, but I have to say this before I go. I always think about this guy and say to myself, “If only I have half of this guy’s dedication to whatever my cause on earth is, I would be successful in making a huge difference to this planet I live in.”

Photo courtesy : www.vettaiyaaduvilaiyaadu.com

7 comments:

Ashok said...

Good write up.. I too admire Kamal Hassan lot..

Ashok

Anonymous said...

nice work.

Anonymous said...

Yes – I agree that there is something different in every movie he makes/acts. I admire his dedication, professionalism, and the way he took Tamil movie industry to a different height as he moved up in the ladder. Most of his recent movies are not for casual ‘dinner and a movie’ night out ‘coz the subject that he deals with requires a serious thinking. Agreeable or disagreeable, the viewers of his cinema are bound to take at least a piece of his thought when they leave the theater hall.
With all this said and done, I cannot help but wonder why our “sakalakalla vallavan” is still a slave of hero-oriented / hero-dominated pictures. Most of the female counter part in his movies, do not contribute to the story line as much as his role. I mean, when you think about a ‘Kamal movie’, you don’t think about the heroin’s role or performance that adds on to the movie story or success. They either die to cause sympathy, or projected in a negative role and he brings them back to their senses. BTW, I wonder how many Tamil movies are out there that are NOT hero-dominated…
So, I think, for a man with so many innovative thoughts and actions, Kamal Hassan can shoot /act in a picture where the heroin adds equal value – as the hero - to the story rather than just dancing with him, kissing him, or just dying all of a sudden.

Jaya


PS - Nenjangal Punpatirundhal Mannikavum

Anonymous said...

Savitha: enjoyed reading your thoughts. Well-written!

Jaya: I agree that Kamal's characters have been more important than the heroines' over the years. But you seem to categorize him with the rest of the herd. However, in Kamal's own movies (not the ones he just acts), heroines have an identity of their own and don't serve as eye-candy. Remember Virumaandi, Mahanadhi, Hey Ram, Kurudhippunal, Thevar Magan and even Vikram?

Unknown said...

This is in reply to 'ranramble's' comment. You were absolutely right about Jaya trying to categorize Kamal in the common herd of actors, which is not at all fair. I thought the same as soon as I read her comment and the movie that came to my mind first where women or heroines were given a free rein was 'Magilar Mattum'. But I did not counter the comment because as you have rightly said in your blog 'kamalhassan.wordpress.com' "the idea is not to be a gang of crazy fans, but a group of ardent admirers".

Thanks a lot for your views and I checked out your blog and I am all hooked:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Savitha

Read your piece on Kamal, a well thought out and gratifying piece that is timely on his 52nd(?) b'day.

I have been watching Kamal's movies from the 80s onwards and perhaps, the crucial period in Kamal's own identity & development into the artiste that he is today.( I use "artiste" unreservedly here). The 90s were witnessing a maturing Kamal journeying into his love of his life - cinematic excellence.

His struggles against the run of the mill productions and box office expectations were evidently damaging but inevitably necessary for his eventual blossming into the master that he is today. His aesthetic journey into the finer nuances of movie-making, his constant foray to unchartered territory, his undying commitment to deliver a polished work and a dedication to a profession that many dismiss unjustly as mere "entertainment", all these (and more) makes him the penultimate thinking persons' actor (pardon the cliche, for lack of a better word).

Watching his movies, one always expects the narrative to be gripping, style to be bold, language as gritty, action to be mind blowing, music pleasing, direction a cut above the rest and it goes on. That, unfortunately, is the undoubted challenge placed on Kamal...and Kamal alone. That he rises above all ..or at least strives to...is a feather on his cap.

So let's celebrate his journey ...

Unknown said...

This is sort of an extension to my last comment about how I did not agree with my friend Jaya and how I said that 'randramble's comments' were right. I had to do this clarification after the discussion I had with Jaya yesterday. When I said I agreed with randramble's comment I meant the part which said that it was unfair to categorize him with the rest of the actors. I was not very sure if the list of movies he had given in the comment as justification were right for the topic of discussion. But as I said, I am not a crazy fan and never pick up arguments on Kamal with anyone. I just feel everyone has their own tastes and own opinions and no one person is right.

This clarification is also one to cool any frayed tempers rather than take sides.

Keep the comments coming in everyone; Doesn't matter if it is pro- or anti-:)