Tuesday, August 21, 2007

'Cast Away' philosophy


I watched the movie 'Cast Away' a couple of days ago. I liked the last few lines that Tom Hanks spoke. It sounded so true and so right. So, I just decided to write it down in my blog.

I'm sure many of you have already seen the movie, but for those of you, who like me, are still catching up on 'lost movie years', here is the storyline. This is a movie about a man who is 'cast away' in an uninhabited island after a plane crashes into the Pacific Ocean (I hope I got that right). He survives in the island for 4 years after which he finds a ship that rescues him. And this is what he says to his friend when he finds out that his lady love whom he thought about day and night in the lonely island is now married happily with a baby girl. He tells his friend that soon after he found he was stuck in this lonely island he decided to kill himself and hung himself from a tree. But the tree branch broke and he realised he did not have the power to even kill himself. So he decided that some bizarre logic was telling him to live on and hope to be rescued. So he started finding ways to stay alive and then one day a tide brings along a broken sheet which he used as a sail for a boat that he builds to reach a ship which then rescues him. So now when his friend asks him how he is going to cope with the loss of his lady love he replies, " I am just going to try to stay alive because the sun will rise and who knows what the tide will bring with it tomorrow?!"

I guess that is how we all ought to live; with hope that the sun will rise to bring us a new day and the tide will bring us a new sail to help us get to our ship of dreams.

Picture courtesy: http://www.itenuscars.com/cast_away.jpg

1 comment:

Sriganesh said...

I am waiting for a tide....:P