Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Rise India!

I happened to watch a movie a month ago on Republic Day(Jan 26th) in my favourite multiplex(Satyam Cinemas). It was the late night show(10 pm) and I was in for a surprise. Just before the movie was screened, everyone was requested to rise for the National Anthem. It was surprising on two counts. One, to see an entertainment house being so thoughtful as to acknowledge our Republic Day while for many of us (including me), it is just another day when you get a day off from work. I guess that is one of the ways Satyam Cinemas continuously innovates and differentiates itself from its competitors (also why I seem to be obsessed with the place!).

The second reason why I was surprised (actually this was the most surprising) was because I heard quite a few people signing along. For me, this was an eye-opener because I guess I presumed until now that when we grow up we just hum or sing along the National Anthem in our heads. I thought that, unlike the days in school when one was forced to sing the National Anthem aloud, when one grows old one tends to be shy or embarrassed to raise one's voice in public! However, I guess I was wrong.

This experience made me realize how, for some people, patriotism is prime and it matters for these people to let their patriotism show, no matter who the audience. If you thought the last statement was a criticism, I would like to clarify that it is not and that I meant it as a sincere compliment. Kudos to all you guys who do it!

I also learnt from this experience how when certain things are not forced on you, you just choose to do it yourself because you so strongly believe in it as the right thing to do. And, for me this is a powerful thought, as in many ways, it also applies to religion, race, art and all beliefs that work around them.

By the way, the next week I went to another movie in Satyam again and realized that the National Anthem was still being played. Ganesh (my hubby) observed that this may be a practice that they had adopted for the last show of the day. I guess I have to wait to watch the next late night movie in Satyam to confirm that!

1 comment:

Sriganesh said...

I think this may be a statutory requirement. But there is no questioning that Sathyam Theater stands out.