Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Why do men do that??!!


This was the topic of one of Oprah Winfrey's shows that I watched on TV recently. I am sure all of you know about this show. It is a great talk show and the lady 'Oprah' is one of my favourites. I have drawn a lot of inspiration from her shows. Now, this particualar show where three celebrity guys - Jay Leno (the host of the 'Late night show' on which 'Movers & Shakers' hosted by Shekhar Suman was based on), Brian McKnight (a singer I am not too familiar with) and Rick Reilly (of 'Sports Illustrated') answered questions of several woman viewers on why men do certain things they way they do - got me laughing hard.

Before I start saying anything more about how I felt, let me list here some of the questions that these guys answered. I am sure once my women friends read the questions they will pretty much know how I felt. Ok guys, I am not leaving you'll out. I know you will laugh for your own reasons but I would identify more with the women on this topic; that is why a special mention of them. Ok, here are the questions -

1. Why do men go to strip clubs?
2. Why do men watch dirty stuff(I am not saying the P word, lest my blog be banned for inappropriate content;)) on the Internet or on TV?
3. Why are men obsessed with golf or any other sport?
4. What is the matter with the whistles and cat calls men make when they look at women?
5. Why do men grow lazy after they say 'I do'?
6. This one is sort of dicey - what do men think about after sex?

The answers these guys gave were so funny because it was so true. All of us women who are married and living with our husbands would agree. Like the bit about men not helping with work at home. One woman complained about how her husband who used to do a lot of his work himself before marriage started walking past a pile of dirty clothes (after marriage) and would tell his wife he didn't see it when she questioned him. Guess what one of these guys answered to that! He said that if the husband said he didnt see the clothes, he really meant it. Brain, the singer says men are simple human beings who just speak their mind without pretending. So if your husband is telling you he didnt see something, he really didn't see it. When I really thought about it for a moment, I felt it was so true.

Hear this one. This made me smile. The one about 'Why do men go to strip clubs?'. There was this woman who broke up with her boyfriend who went to a strip club. Now how many of us agree with that??? If it is ok to admit here, I wouldn't care too much if my husband did it. After all it is a man's way of entertaining himself like women would gossip non-stop to relax themselves. And that is exactly what the celebrity guests said!

The one about obsession with golf or any sport was good. The 'Sports Illustrated' guy said something which made me burst into laughter. He said that men like keeping scores and that is why they keep going back to play. They just tell each other at the end of a game, "You won today and I lost, so lets play tomorrow so that I can beat you". They don't discuss it further like women. And the example he gave was - after a game of football no two coaches say to each other "you did that in the 3rd quarter of the game that made us lose". Now that sounded so familiar to me. What say you all my lady pals?

There was another question which was really interesting. Why do men not cuddle more often? And why do they cuddle only when they want to take it to the next step? The answer was - 'Because cuddling doesn't come naturally to men and when they do it they are thinking of more than just cuddling!! It may look cute to a woman, but the man's physiology is humming a different tune'. Now all you women out there, beware when a guy says he friends with you and hugs you:)

I quite enjoyed the show and I am sure it would be more entertaining for you to read about it yourself than me narrating it like this. So if you want to read more about this, follow this link:- http://www.oprah.com/tows/slide/200511/20051101/slide_20051101_350_101.jhtml

Picture courtesy : http://www.familyisafety.com/filters/cybersentinel.htm
Questions listed are as seen on www.oprah.com

No comments: